In fact, although I said that Guy Noir pitched "a fit," it might be more accurate to use the words of Fr. Z and say that he had a spittle-flecked nutty. He said to me:
"So, what happens? In answer to David Paul Deavel's piece, "Vatican II and the 'Bad News' of the Gospel" (CWR, November 21, 2003), they trot out these 'big guns'. Big Guns? Get a load of this! Here's their list of heavy artillery:Like I said, a downright spittle-flecked nutty.
"Big guns? Did I say 'big guns'? Hey, kid, are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin to ME?!
- “Every one to whom much is given, of him will much be required” by Douglas Bushman
- The Universality of Christ’s Saving Mission – The Teaching of Vatican II by Nicholas J. Healy, Jr.
- Salvation and Christian Evangelization: Vatican II in Continuity with Tradition by Father David Vincent Meconi, SJ
- Salvation and Missionary Work after Ad Gentes by Tracey Rowland
- On Universal Salvation: The Logic by James V. Schall, SJ
- Who Will Be Saved? The Council and the Question of Salvation by Father Thomas Joseph White, OP
- Did Hans Urs von Balthasar Teach that Everyone Will Certainly be Saved? by Mark Brumley
"Maybe it is just me, but most of this stuff would embarrass any flippin' Evangelical theologian worth his salt. So whazzup wit' these Papists? As for Brumley's screed, (from what I know I like him, and I love Ignatius Press for their books, but) really? His defense is weak to the point of being disingenuous. 'Don't put words in my mouth: I didn't say I want to slap you, I said, you make me feel like slapping you!' Are you talkin' to ME?!
"The take away here for me is the emphasis at VII wasn't on saying what Scripture says; it was on saying what the drafters thought Scripture should say. And as we all want to believe, No one goes to Hell unless it is the ultimate and unavoidable last resort for Hitler- and Stalin-esque cases. And Karl Rove. So we see: It is not a wonder God saves me, but rather it is a scandal anyone is damned. Pffffffft! Per Henri DeLubac and Ron Bluth, All Dogs Go to Heaven. Dare We Hope... All Are Saved? God Is A Woman? I'm OK, You're OK? We Need Genderless Cardinals? I don't know, but none of that inspires much hope. Pfffffffft!"
[Hat tip to JM]