Saturday, November 23, 2013

CWR's long-promised symposium on Salvation & Eternal Destiny

The underground correspondent we keep on retainer in an Atlantic seaboard city that knows how to keep its secrets, Guy Noir - Private Eye, recently called me in a fit over the "long-promised symposium" responding to the controversy over at Catholic World Report -- the controversy over Mark Brumley's pulling Paul Deavel's review of Ralph Martin's book, Will Many Be Saved? What Vatican II Actually Teaches and Its Implications for the New Evangelization (See "CWR removes Deavel's review of Ralph Martin's book," Musings, April 5, 2013, and Brumley's acknowledgement that he pulled Deavel's review HERE).

In fact, although I said that Guy Noir pitched "a fit," it might be more accurate to use the words of Fr. Z and say that he had a spittle-flecked nutty. He said to me:
"So, what happens? In answer to David Paul Deavel's piece, "Vatican II and the 'Bad News' of the Gospel" (CWR, November 21, 2003), they trot out these 'big guns'. Big Guns? Get a load of this! Here's their list of heavy artillery:"Big guns? Did I say 'big guns'? Hey, kid, are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin to ME?!

"Maybe it is just me, but most of this stuff would embarrass any flippin' Evangelical theologian worth his salt. So whazzup wit' these Papists? As for Brumley's screed, (from what I know I like him, and I love Ignatius Press for their books, but) really? His defense is weak to the point of being disingenuous. 'Don't put words in my mouth: I didn't say I want to slap you, I said, you make me feel like slapping you!' Are you talkin' to ME?!

"The take away here for me is the emphasis at VII wasn't on saying what Scripture says; it was on saying what the drafters thought Scripture should say. And as we all want to believe, No one goes to Hell unless it is the ultimate and unavoidable last resort for Hitler- and Stalin-esque cases. And Karl Rove. So we see: It is not a wonder God saves me, but rather it is a scandal anyone is damned. Pffffffft! Per Henri DeLubac and Ron Bluth, All Dogs Go to Heaven. Dare We Hope... All Are Saved? God Is A Woman? I'm OK, You're OK? We Need Genderless Cardinals? I don't know, but none of that inspires much hope. Pfffffffft!"
Like I said, a downright spittle-flecked nutty.

[Hat tip to JM]

No comments: