In a massively lengthy post yesterday, Rorate's Augustinus reports an escalation of "Vatican persecution" of the Franciscans of the Immaculate (FI). Details include:
- Apostolic Commissioner: FI problem is its "crypto-lefebvrian and definitely traditionalist drift"
- Seminary closed: no ordinations for one year
- Ordinands must take unprecedented oath on Novus Ordo
- Ordered "by the Vicar of Christ"
- a Dec. 4th article by La Stampa's best Vaticanist, Marco Tosatti, consisting mainly of a letter from "a member of the laity who is close to the Franciscans of the Immaculate";
- a Dec. 6th article featuring a long response by Fr. Fidenzio Volpi, Capuchin, the Apostolic Commissioner appointed by the Holy See for the FI;
- links to a "harsh" December 8 letter of Fr. Volpi to the FI "announcing further sanctions and measures" against the community;
- an open letter by professor Roberto de Mattei summarising the situation and calling for the removal of Fr. Volpi.
[Da Rulz advisory: Rules ##7-9]
[Hat tip to L.S.]
- "Lepanto Society: We ask for the resignation of Fr. Volpi, commissioner of the Franciscans of the Immaculate" (CFN, December 10, 2013).