Saturday, December 07, 2013

Inspiring story: "Father Joseph Kentenich – Dilexit Ecclesiam"

"Father Joseph Kentenich – Dilexit Ecclesiam" (Catholic Truths, April 17, 2013):
October 1912. A storm was shaking the seminarians’ residence hall in Schoenstatt, Vallendar, not far from Kolblenz, Germany. The older students were protesting a school rule they believed to be too strict. Antiestablishment graffiti were all over the walls. The two priests in charge of spiritual direction resigned. A young priest, Joseph Kentenich, was hurriedly appointed to replace them in order to reestablish trust. During his first talk with the students, he introduced himself with these words: “I place myself entirely at your disposal with everything that I am and have, with my knowledge and my ignorance, with my strength and my powerlessness, but above all, my heart … we are going to learn to educate ourselves on our own, under the protection of Mary, so we become men of firm character, men who are free and priestly.” Right away, the new spiritual father and the seminarians who were rebelling a short time ago got along well. From this meeting was born the Schoenstatt movement. Who is this priest whose memory is venerated by millions of Catholics? Read more >>
[Hat tip to Sir Anthony S.]

No comments: