"I will go in unto the Altar of God
To God, Who giveth joy to my youth"
Tridentine Community News (December 22, 2013):
Jackson Mass to Relocate to St. Mary Star of the Sea
Congratulations are in order to the Tridentine Mass Community in Jackson, Michigan. After many years in residence at the 1960s-era St. Joseph Church, the Jackson Mass will be relocating to historic St. Mary Star of the Sea Parish in downtown Jackson, effective January 5. Sunday Masses will take place at 12:15 PM. As we have reported before, St. Mary is one of our region’s most stunning and majestic Catholic Churches, maintained in pristine condition. [Below photo of special Mass in August, 2012 by Aaron Harburg]
Pope Recommends Daily Rosary
Few prayers are as enriched with as many graces as the Holy Rosary. Our Lady has many times urged the praying of the Rosary in various apparitions. Countless Popes and theologians have recommended praying the Rosary regularly. Praying a Rosary in a church or in public or with one’s family is one of the easiest ways to gain a Plenary Indulgence, under the usual conditions. Recently our Holy Father, Pope Francis added his own support for this pious practice: On November 17, he distributed 20,000 Rosaries to the crowd in St. Peter’s Square, urging them to pray the Rosary daily and to think of it as a spiritual prescription that is “good for your heart, for your soul, for your whole life.”
Special Christmas Choral Masses
Two Masses on Christmas Day will be supported by special choral programs:
At the Midnight Mass at Detroit’s St. Joseph Church, the choir will sing Mozart’s Mass in G with chamber orchestra, Victoria’s O Magnum Mystérium, and Saint-Saëns Ave Verum. A musical prelude begins at 11:30 PM.
At the 2:00 PM Solemn High Mass of the St. Benedict Tridentine Community at Windsor’s Assumption Church, the choir will sing Michael Praetorius’ Missa a 8 and motets including Hieronymus Praetorius’ In Dulci Júbilo. Carols will begin at 1:30 PM.
Additional Christmas Masses in Michigan
Along with our usual schedule of Masses below, the following additional churches in Michigan will be holding Masses in the Extraordinary Form on Christmas Day:
Tridentine Masses This Coming Week
- Holy Rosary, Cedar: Midnight
- Assumption Grotto, Detroit: Midnight (César Franck’s Mass in A), 9:30 AM (no choir)
- Sacred Heart of Jesus, Grand Rapids: 12:30 PM
- St. Joseph, Jackson: 12:00 Noon
- St. Mary, Kalamazoo: 10:00 AM
- St. Edward on the Lake, Lakeport: Midnight
- Blessed John XXIII (St. Mary Cathedral), Lansing: Midnight
- St. Mary, Morrice will have Midnight Mass at 10:00 PM on Tuesday, December 24th
- Tue. 12/24: No Mass at St. Benedict/Assumption-Windsor
- Wed. 12/25 12:00 Midnight: High Mass at St. Joseph, Detroit (Christmas Day) – Choir will sing Mozart’s Mass in G
- Wed. 12/25 9:30 AM: High Mass at St. Joseph, Detroit (Christmas Day)
- Wed. 12/25 2:00 PM: Solemn High Mass with Deacon and Subdeacon at St. Benedict/Assumption-Windsor (Christmas Day) - Choir will sing Michael Praetorius’ Missa a 8 - Carols begin at 1:30 PM
- Thu. 12/26 1:30 PM: High Mass at St. Mary of the Angels, Chicago (St. Stephen, Deacon & Protomartyr)
- Fri. 12/27 9:30 AM: High Mass at St. John Cantius, Chicago (St. John, Apostle & Evangelist) – Note changed location and time - The above two Masses are part of the Chicago Bus Tour; all are welcome to attend the Masses even if you are not on the tour.
- Fri. 12/27 7:00 PM: High Mass at Sweetest Heart of Mary, Detroit (St. John, Apostle & Evangelist)