"I will go in unto the Altar of God
To God, Who giveth joy to my youth"
Tridentine Community News (March 17, 2013):
Indulgenced Prayer for the Pope
Upon the election of our new Holy Father, Pope Francis, is it fitting for us to pray the traditional Prayer for the Pope, which is enriched with a Partial Indulgence any time it is prayed:℣. Orémus pro Pontífice nostro Francísco. ℟. Dóminus consérvet eum, et vivíficet eum, et beátum fáciat eum in terra, et non tradat eum in ánimam inimicórum ejus.Plenary Indulgences for the Year of Faith in the Archdiocese of Detroit
℣. Let us pray for our Sovereign Pontiff Francis. ℟. The Lord preserve him and give him life, and make him blessed upon the earth, and deliver him not to the will of his enemies.
In the December 30, 2012 edition of this column, we mentioned the opportunities to gain a Plenary Indulgence for the Year of Faith by making a pilgrimage to one of the sites designated by the local Bishop. Our own Assumption Church in Windsor is one of the pilgrimage sites in the Diocese of London, Ontario.
Recently Archbishop Allen Vigneron published the pilgrimage sites for the Archdiocese of Detroit. The relevant section of his letter is as follows:In this Year of Faith, Pope Benedict XVI has given Christ’s faithful the opportunity to obtain a special plenary indulgence. Through the wisdom of age, the Church has come to see that extraordinary acts of faith, in turn, bring about extraordinary grace. In the Holy Father’s decree Urbis et Orbis he writes,Holy Week & Easter Schedule
“Throughout the Year of Faith – established from 11 October 2012 to 24 November 2013 – all individual members of the faithful who are truly repentant, have duly received the Sacrament of Penance and Holy Communion and who pray for the intentions of the Supreme Pontiff may receive the Plenary Indulgence in remission of the temporal punishment for their sins, imparted through God’s mercy and applicable in suffrage to the souls of the deceased. Since the primary objective is to develop sanctity of life to the highest degree possible on this earth, and thus to attain the most sublime level of pureness of soul, immense benefit may be derived from the great gift of Indulgence which, by virtue of the power conferred upon her by Christ, the Church offers to everyone who, following the due norms, undertakes the special prescripts to obtain them.”
As your Archbishop, and in accord with the attached decree issued by the Apostolic Penitentiary, I have designated eight churches, dispersed throughout the Archdiocese, where you may make a pilgrimage to obtain the plenary indulgence after having also received the Sacraments of Penance and Holy Communion, and having prayed for the intentions of the Holy Father. With the advice of the auxiliary bishops, I have designated the following places of pilgrimage:
- Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament
- St. Anne Church in Detroit [photo by Andrew Fanco, right]
- St. Anne Church in Monroe
- St. Anne Church in Ortonville
- St. Anne Church in Warren
- Our Lady of Good Counsel Church in Plymouth
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Emmett
- Shrine Chapel of Our Lady of Orchard Lake (on the campus of Orchard Lake Schools)
We are pleased to present the list of Tridentine Masses for Holy Week and Easter Week, 2013. Please note that the only Good Friday service this year will be at Windsor’s Assumption Church. There will be no Good Friday service at St. Josaphat.
Tridentine Masses This Coming Week
- Mon. 03/25 7:00 PM: Low Mass at St. Josaphat (Monday in Holy Week)
- Tue. 03/26 7:00 PM: Low Mass at Assumption-Windsor (Tuesday in Holy Week)
- Thu. 03/28 7:00 PM: High Mass at St. Josaphat (Holy Thursday) – Call to confirm time
- Fri. 03/29 5:30 PM: Chanted Service at Assumption-Windsor (Good Friday)
- Sat. 03/30 8:00 PM: High Mass at St. Josaphat (Easter Vigil) – Call to confirm time
- Sun. 03/31 2:00 PM: High Mass at Assumption-Windsor (Easter Sunday)
- Mon. 04/01 7:00 PM: Low Mass at St. Josaphat (Easter Monday)
- Tue. 04/02 7:00 PM: High Mass at Assumption-Windsor (Easter Tuesday)
- Sun. 04/07 3:00 PM: High Mass at Assumption-Windsor (Divine Mercy Sunday/Low Sunday) – Confessions start at 2:00 PM, Chaplet of Divine Mercy at 3:00 PM, followed by Holy Mass
- Mon. 03/18 7:00 PM: Low Mass at St. Josaphat (Feria in Passion Week)
- Tue. 03/19 7:00 PM: Solemn High Mass with Deacon and Subdeacon at Assumption-Windsor (St. Joseph, Spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary and Patron of Canada and of the Universal Church)
- Sun. 03/24 1:40 PM: High Mass at Assumption-Windsor (Palm Sunday) – Note special time, 20 minutes earlier than usual