"I will go in unto the Altar of God
To God, Who giveth joy to my youth"
Tridentine Community News by Alex Begin (May 15, 2016):
May 15, 2016 – Pentecost Sunday
First Tridentine Mass of Fr. David Johnston
Congratulations to Fr. David Johnston, who was ordained to the sacred priesthood for the Diocese of London, Ontario on April 23. He has been studying the Tridentine Mass and will celebrate his first Holy Mass in the Extraordinary Form on Sunday, May 29 at 1:30 PM for the Latin Mass community of London, Ontario at Holy Angels Church in St. Thomas. We look forward to Fr. Johnston joining our roster of regular celebrants of the Traditional Latin Mass in our region.
Corpus Christi Mass at Blessed Sacrament Cathedral
On Thursday, May 26 at 8:30 PM, Detroit’s Blessed Sacrament Cathedral will host its third Tridentine Mass in modern times, for the Feast of Corpus Christi. Juventútem Michigan is once again organizing the Mass, though people of all ages are welcome. Fr. David Bechill will be the celebrant, and Archdiocese of Detroit Director of Music Joe Balistreri will lead the music. A procession with the Blessed Sacrament will follow the Mass.
Additional Corpus Christi Masses & Processions
Additional Corpus Christi Masses with Eucharistic Processions will be held on Thursday, May 26 at 7:00 PM at St. Josaphat Church; and on Sunday, May 29 at the Oakland County Latin Mass Association/Academy of the Sacred Heart Chapel in Bloomfield Hills at 9:45 AM, at St. Alphonsus Church in Windsor at 2:00 PM [and at Assumption Grotto at 12:00 NOON].
Those who participate in a Eucharistic Procession for Corpus Christi may gain a Plenary Indulgence, under the usual conditions of Confession within 20 days, reception of Holy Communion, prayer for the Holy Father’s intentions, and freedom from attachment to sin.
Updated List of Tridentine Masses in the Region
Below is an updated list of churches in metro Detroit and Windsor which offer Holy Masses in the Extraordinary Form on a regular or semi-regular basis. If you have additional information or corrections, kindly e-mail the address at the bottom of this column, and we will publish the updates. Please note that the weekly Masses at Immaculate Conception, Lapeer are no longer being held. St. Stephen, New Boston, may still hold occasional Masses, but they are not published on any available schedule.
EWTN Live Episode Now On-Line
- St. Benedict Tridentine Community at St. Alphonsus Church, Windsor: High Mass at 2:00 PM on Second through Last Sundays of the month; Benediction after Mass on Second Sundays
- St. Benedict Tridentine Community at Holy Name of Mary Church, Windsor: High Mass at 2:00 PM on the First Sunday of the month, Low Mass at 7:00 PM every Tuesday
- Oakland County Latin Mass Association at the Academy of the Sacred Heart Chapel, Bloomfield Hills: High Mass every Sunday at 9:45 AM
- Old St. Mary’s Church, Detroit: High Mass on First Fridays at 7:00 PM
- St. Josaphat Church, Detroit: High Mass at 9:30 AM every Sunday, Low Mass at 7:00 PM every Monday and First Friday
- Ss. Cyril & Methodius Church, Sterling Heights: High Mass at 6:00 PM every Saturday
- St. Edward on the Lake Church, Lakeport: High Mass at 2:00 PM every Sunday, Low Mass at 8:00 AM on First Saturdays
- Assumption Grotto Church, Detroit: High Mass at 9:30 AM every Sunday, Low Mass at 7:30 AM Monday-Saturday and 7:00 PM Monday-Friday
- Sacred Heart Church, Imlay City: Low Mass at 8:00 AM every Thursday
- Our Lady of the Scapular Parish, Wyandotte: Once per month on varying dates and times; check parish bulletin or web site
- Our Lady Queen of Martyrs, Beverly Hills: High Mass on the Feast of the Epiphany (January 6) at 7:00 PM
- St. Hyacinth Church, Detroit: Special occasions; dates will be reported in this column
- St. Albertus Church, Detroit: Special occasions; dates will be reported in this column
- Holy Redeemer Church, Detroit: Special occasions; dates will be reported in this column
The May 4 episode of EWTN Live featuring Extraordinary Faith and the Traditional Latin Mass is now available for viewing on-line at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwnZAIniJzU&t
Tridentine Masses This Coming Week
- Mon. 05/16 7:00 PM: Low Mass at St. Josaphat (Pentecost Monday)
- Tue. 05/17 7:00 PM: High Mass at Holy Name of Mary (Pentecost Tuesday)
- Sat. 05/21 8:30 AM: Low Mass at Miles Christi (Pentecost Saturday)