"I will go in unto the Altar of God
To God, Who giveth joy to my youth"
Tridentine Community News by Alex Begin (December 27, 2015):
December 27, 2015 – Sunday in the Octave of Christmas
2015 Year in Review – Significant Developments
Ordination of Dom John Tonkin, CRNJ: The second priestly ordination of a native son of our local Tridentine communities.
Mainstreaming of the Extraordinary Form: The EF is becoming more of a mainstream part of Catholic life in our region. Examples of the sort of events taking place with increasing frequency: A second Mass at Detroit’s Blessed Sacrament Cathedral (with front page coverage in The Michigan Catholic newspaper), two Masses (one including Confirmations) celebrated by Auxiliary Bishop Donald Hanchon, and monthly Masses quietly taking place at Our Lady of the Scapular in Wyandotte.
Special Masses: Special Tridentine Masses continue to be held at more churches. In 2015, the Traditional Liturgy was held at the below sites for the first time ever, or in decades. Masses organized by Juventútem Michigan are so designated.
Extraordinary Faith: Audience response has continued to be strong for our locally produced television series focusing on the Extraordinary Form and classic Catholicism, Extraordinary Faith, and its associated priest training program. 19 episodes have been shot, and seven episodes have aired so far. EWTN has begun to re-run episodes, a development for which thanks is due to those who have written the network at firstname.lastname@example.org to express their support for the program.
- St. Stanislaus Kostka, Jackson (J)
- St. Anthony, Temperance (J)
- St. Patrick, Brighton (J)
- St. Augustine/St. Monica, Detroit (J)
- Felician Sisters’ Convent Chapel, Livonia
- Colombiere Center, Clarkston (J)
- Old St. Mary’s, Detroit (J)
- Sacred Heart Seminary, Detroit (J)
Thanks to Our Volunteers
The thriving Extraordinary Form scene we enjoy in metro Detroit is in large part due to the consistent effort put forth by a dedicated team of volunteers. Those listed in bold deserve special credit for volunteering at multiple sites across metro Detroit and Windsor.
Oakland County Latin Mass Association
Altar Servers: Jim Eatmon, Riley LaMendola, Tyler LaMendola, Kieran McDonnell, Liam McDonnell, Edward Schmick, Elliott Schmick, Vincent Schmick, Charlie Shane
Volunteer Choir Members: Joe Baldiga, Maggie McCourt, Jill McDonnell, Anne Shane
Ushers: Chris Batts, Pete Higgins, Jon McDonnell
Board Members: Chris Batts, Rick Kempa, Cecilia Lakin (Chair), Sanford Lakin, Sal LaMendola, Jon McDonnell
Receptions, Vestments, & Altar Linens: Diane Begin, Julie Eatmon, Judit Wittbrodt
Rosary leader: Mary Strahorn
St. Benedict Tridentine Community
Altar Servers: Gabriel Ang, Matthew Bombardier, Matthew Charbonneau, Damien Cincurak, James Cincurak, Benjamin McKinley, James Murphy, Jonathan Ozorak, Barry Rafferty, John Tome, Mitchell Witteveen
Volunteer Choir Members: Laura Hurajt, Michel Ozorak
Parish Council: Ted Jankowski, Sharon Moody (late Treasurer), Charlotte Parent (current Treasurer), Ron Parent, Barry Rafferty
Ushers: Alex Foley, John Foot, Ted Jankowski, Frank O’Reilly
St. Albertus, St, Hyacinth, & Other Sites
Altar servers: Michael Alvarez, Tommy Alvarez, Luke Rzeczkowski, Paul Schultz
Volunteer organist/cantor: Joe Balistreri
Ushers: Bob Kujawa, Ismael Lebron
Please also keep in your prayers our priest celebrants of the Extraordinary Form: Fr. Lee Acervo, Fr. Ryan Adams, Fr. Ross Bartley, Fr. David Bechill, Fr. Patrick Bénéteau, Fr. Mark Borkowski, Msgr. Ronald Browne, Fr. Peter Hrytsyk, Fr. David Jenuwine, Fr. John Johnson, Fr. Ben Kosnac, Fr. Louis Madey, Fr. Robert Marczewski, Fr. Clint McDonell, Fr. Danny Santos, Fr. Michael Suhy, Fr. Greg Tokarski, and Fr. Joe Tuskiewicz.
- Alex Begin, Tridentine Community News editor
Tridentine Masses This Coming Week
- Mon. 12/28 12:00 Noon: High Mass at St. Mary of the Angels, Chicago (Holy Innocents) – Celebrant: Fr. Joe Tuskiewicz. All are welcome to attend this and the Mass at St. John Cantius; participation in the Prayer Pilgrimages Bus Tour is not required.
- Mon. 12/28 7:00 PM: Low Mass at St. Josaphat (Holy Innocents)
- Tue. 12/29 2:30 PM: High Mass at St. John Cantius, Chicago (Day V in the Octave of Christmas) – Celebrant: Fr. Joe Tuskiewicz.
- Tue. 12/29 7:00 PM: High Mass at Holy Name of Mary (Day V in the Octave of Christmas)
- Fri. 01/01 9:30 AM: High Mass at St. Josaphat (Octave of Christmas/Feast of the Circumcision)
- Fri. 01/01 9:45 AM: High Mass at OCLMA/Academy of the Sacred Heart, Bloomfield Hills (Octave of Christmas/Feast of the Circumcision)
- Fri. 01/01 2:00 PM: High Mass at St. Alphonsus, Windsor (Octave of Christmas/Feast of the Circumcision)