The move, based on state models, will almost certainly not satisfy bishops and other religious leaders since it will preserve the goal of women employees having their birth control fully covered by health insurance.
Sources say it will be respectful of religious beliefs but will not back off from that goal, which many religious leaders oppose since birth control is in violation of their religious beliefs.
- "USCCB strong statement about Pres. Obama’s imposed 'Plan B' pill" (WDTPRS, February 10, 2012): USCCB: "The only complete solution to this religious liberty problem is for HHS to rescind the mandate of these objectionable services."
- "Bishop Slattery responds to President Obama's HHS mandate" (Diocese of Tulsa, Feb. 10, 2012): Pres. Obama's Plan B: “morally obtuse”, “insult to the intelligence”, and “cheap accounting trick.”
- Patrick Lee, "Clearheaded Catholics Will Not Comply" (NRO, Feb. 10, 2012)
- "USCCB President Sharply Criticizes HHS Mandate" [Video]
- Brian Burch, "Unacceptable — former Vatican Ambassador, Prof. Robert George, others respond" (CatholicVote.org, Feb. 10, 2012).
- Francis J. Beckwith, "President Obama: Ex-Liberal" (The Catholic Thing, Oct. 14, 2011) [highly relevant!]
- "Catholic Bishops Oppose Compromise on Birth-Control Insurance" (Wall Street Journal, Feb. 11, 2012)