"I will go in unto the Altar of God
To God, Who giveth joy to my youth"
Tridentine Community News by Alex Begin (March 12, 2017):
March 12, 2017 - The Second Sunday of Lent
Ss. Peter & Paul West Side Removes Freestanding Altar
In the sacristy before the Juventútem Michigan Mass on Friday, February 24, Ss. Peter & Paul west side pastor Fr. Jerry Pilus explained that he had removed the freestanding altar from the sanctuary, and all Ordinary Form Masses at the parish, at least for a while, will be celebrated ad oriéntem. His February 19 and 26 parish bulletins provided the rationale behind the adoption of this traditional worship orientation. This 1950s edifice has a beautiful, spacious sanctuary, with clean sight lines to its High Altar.
Fr. Borkowski has celebrated several Tridentine Masses at the parish prior to Fr. Jerry’s decision, but this is an unexpected upgrade to the mainstream parish life. Ss. Peter & Paul is also adding a sung Latin Ordinary during Lent and chanted Propers. Interestingly, this is the sixth parish in the Archdiocese of Detroit to make such a move...dare we say it’s a trend?
Parishes in the Archdiocese of Detroit Which Celebrate the Ordinary Form Ad Oriéntem
The below churches celebrate most or all of their Ordinary Form Masses ad oriéntem. All have removed their freestanding altars from their sanctuaries, at least for most of their Masses.
Our Lady of the Scapular Sanctuary Restoration
- St. Stephen, New Boston
- Assumption Grotto, Detroit
- St. Josaphat, Detroit
- St. Mary, South Rockwood [pictured]
- St. Anthony, Temperance
- Ss. Peter & Paul west side, Detroit
As part of a variety of measures being taken to beautify Our Lady of the Scapular Church in Wyandotte, Michigan, Fr. Mark Borkowski has:
What’s left to do? Re-install the center part of the Communion Rail that had been removed, and replace the 1970s pulpit with a more historically authentic High Pulpit. [Photo by Zach Trailer]
- Removed the carpeted platform that used to cover most of the sanctuary floor. The original terrazzo floor is now exposed.
- Replaced the dated-looking 1970s freestanding altar with a salvaged and refurbished traditional altar, soon to be outfitted with wheels to make it more easily moveable to make room for the parish’s monthly Tridentine Masses.
- Restored the three-step High Altar platform.
- Installed Victorian-looking light fixtures which approximate the appearance of the original gas lamp fixtures.
- Cleaned and reinstalled statuary around the church.
- Replaced the dated, 1970s-era Baptismal Font with the original, old font.
Virginia Tuskiewicz, RIP
In the charity of your prayers, please pray for the repose of the soul of Virginia Tuskiewicz, mother of Fr. Joe Tuskiewicz, who passed away on Saturday, March 4. The funeral was held this past Friday, March 10. [Details] Tridentine Requiem Masses are being planned.
Tridentine Masses This Coming Week
- Mon. 03/13 7:00 PM: Low Mass at St. Josaphat (Monday in the Second Week of Lent)
- Tue. 03/14 7:00 PM: Low Mass at Holy Name of Mary, Windsor (Tuesday in the Second Week of Lent)
- Sat. 03/18 8:30 AM: Low Mass at Miles Christi (Saturday in the Second Week of Lent)