Saturday, January 24, 2009

Morning Prayer

Almighty God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who day by day renews Thy mercies to sinful man, accept, I pray Thee, this morning sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving, and give me the grace to offer it reverently, and in humble faith, and with a willing mind.

I praise Thee for my birth from kind and anxious parents; for Thy gifts of health and reason; for Thy continued care of me, for my baptism into Thy Holy Church, and every measure of Thy grace granted to me; for Thy gracious forgiveness of all my sins. Also I praise and magnify Thy name for every affliction and anxiety Thou hast laid, or now laist upon me, and I acknowledge thankfully that hitherto all has worked for good.

The Venerable John Henry Cardinal Newman
Oxford 1828

[Acknowledgement: A Newman Prayer Book (Vincent F. Blehl, S.J., 1990), p. iv.]

No comments: