Thursday, June 14, 2007

Tithing

Here's something I received from a reader -- a question about tithing. Like many of these sorts of topics, there's an official answer readily available, but I think it more helpful to put the question out there for the comments that many of you may have to offer. An important dimension in answering this sort of question, it seems to me, is what people's experience has been, what Catholic custom has been, and I don't mean merely the custom of people nowadays. From what I hear from priests these days, a meager fraction of any given parish's membership carries the financial burden of supporting the work of the Church. I know Catholics who do tithe. But it's evident that many do not give a dime to the work of their parish churches.

Our reader's query runs as follows:
Have a question for you and wondered how you have approached the topic. Feel free to post if you want. Know you are in need of a fresh topic since Hahn/Vree exchange has reached over 250 postings.

I have a question regarding tithing or "giving to the material needs of the church." My basic question deals with how much of my tithe "should" go to the church vs. charitable giving. Say I decided to give x amount of dollars of my monthly income to the Lord's work. I know that a particular Catholic charity utilizes 96% of my donation for direct food for the poor. I do not know what percentage of my donation to local Catholic Church goes towards administration, etc. Additionally, the local church may be somewhat lackadaisical in correcting liturgical abuse. Should I feel guilty for only wanting to give minimally to the local church, while giving generously to Catholic charity? Does the 6th precept dictate that "the Church" be the local church?
Let's hear what you think.

No comments: