"I will go in unto the Altar of God
To God, Who giveth joy to my youth"
Tridentine Community News by Alex Begin (October 29, 2017):
October 29, 2017 – Christ the King
Betty Klink, RIP
A High Funeral Mass in the Extraordinary Form was offered at the neo-Gothic St. Alphonsus Church in Dearborn, Michigan [pictured] on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 for the repose of the soul of Betty Klink, who passed away the previous Friday. Betty and her late husband Terry were Latin Mass pioneers in metro Detroit, attending and supporting numerous Latin Mass communities.
Betty had struck up friendships with numerous big figures in the Church worldwide, via the old-fashioned technique of typewritten letters. Several years ago, after mentioning to Betty that a rare hymnal was needed to source an obscure hymn, this writer received a copy of that hymnal from none other than EWTN celebrity and Manhattan pastor Fr. George Rutler, one of Betty’s many pen pals. Réquiem ætérnam dona ei, Dómine, et lux perpétua lucéat ei. Requiéscat in pace. Amen.
All Saints & All Souls Day Mass Schedules
All Saints Day, Wednesday, November 1, is a Holy Day of Obligation in the United States (but not in Canada). Tridentine Masses for All Saints Day in our region are listed at the end of this page. Likewise the Mass schedule for All Souls Day, Thursday, November 2, is provided below.
St. Alphonsus Church in Windsor will once again host the Three Masses of All Souls Day, with two simultaneous Low Masses on the Side Altars being offered at 6:00 PM, and a Solemn High Mass with Deacon and Subdeacon at the High Altar at 7:00 PM. The St. Benedict choir will sing the Gregorian Requiem Mass, Mozart’s Lacrimósa, and Duruflé’s Lux Ætérna. Of particular note this year, St. Mary Star of the Sea Church in Jackson, Michigan will also be offering the Three Masses of All Souls for the first time. It is good to see another church in the region take the opportunity to make a spiritual event of this great Feast for the Poor Souls in Purgatory.
Plenary Indulgence Opportunities for November
The month of November brings several opportunities to gain Plenary Indulgences for the Souls in Purgatory:
1. On All Souls Day, a Plenary Indulgence may be gained by praying an Our Father and Creed in a church or public oratory.
2. From November 1-8, inclusive, a Plenary Indulgence may be gained by visiting a cemetery and praying, even only mentally, for the dead.
Only one Plenary Indulgence may be gained per day, under the usual conditions of Confession within 20 days, reception of Holy Communion and prayer for the Holy Father’s intentions once per Plenary Indulgence sought, and freedom from attachment to sin.
Tridentine Masses This Coming Week
- Mon. 10/30 7:00 PM: Low Mass at St. Josaphat (Feria [Mass of the 21st Sunday After Pentecost])
- Tue. 10/31 7:00 PM: Low Mass at Holy Name of Mary, Windsor (Feria [Mass of the 21st Sunday After Pentecost])
- Wed. 11/01 7:30 AM: Low Mass at Assumption Grotto (All Saints)
- Wed. 11/01 12:00 Noon: Low Mass at St. Joseph (All Saints)
- Wed. 11/01 5:00 PM: High Mass at St. Mary Star of the Sea, Jackson (All Saints)
- Wed. 11/01 7:00 PM: High Mass at St. Joseph (All Saints)
- Wed. 11/01 7:00 PM: High Mass at St. Matthew, Flint (All Saints)
- Thu. 11/02 7:30 AM: Low Mass at Assumption Grotto (All Souls)
- Thu. 11/02M: 8:00 AM & 8:40 AM Low Masses, 7:00 PM Solemn High Mass at St. Joseph (All Souls)
- Thu. 11/02: 6:00 PM Two Low Masses at the Side Altars, 7:00 PM Solemn High Mass at the High Altar at St. Alphonsus, Windsor (All Souls)
- Thu. 11/02: 6:15 PM Two Low Masses at the Side Altars, 7:00 PM Solemn High Mass at the High Altar at St. Mary Star of the Sea, Jackson (All Souls)
- Thu. 11/02 7:00 PM: High Mass at St. Matthew, Flint (All Souls)
- Fri. 11/03 7:00 PM: High Mass at Old St. Mary’s (Votive Mass of the Sacred Heart of Jesus) – Choir will sing Morales’ Missa Caça and Mozart’s Laudáte Dóminum. Devotions to the Sacred Heart prayed before Mass. Reception in the social hall after Mass.
- Fri. 11/03 7:00 PM: High Requiem Mass at Our Lady of the Scapular, Wyandotte, Michigan (Daily Mass for the Dead)
- Sat. 11/04 8:30 AM: Low Mass at Miles Christi (St. Charles Borromeo, Bishop & Confessor)