Monday, December 08, 2014

Query regarding a musical piece heard today

This evening we went to beautiful St. Joseph's Church, Detroit, for their 7:00PM Tridentine High Mass for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception and their lovely St. Joseph Cappella performed a setting of the Magnificat that I had never heard before with Frank Greenia as soloist. It was called, simply: "Magnificat - Madruga." I had never heard it before, but found it beautiful and I am wondering where I can find some more information about it, who composed it, what the significance of "Madruga" is in the title, etc. The only thing I could find on the Internet after a brief search was a performance of what seems to be the same arrangement in an audio recording on the MFVA website of the Franciscan Missionaries of the Eternal Word (you have to scroll down to the very bottom of the website: it's the last entry listed). If anyone can furnish me with any additional information, I will owe him a debt of gratitude.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Philip,

I forwarded your inquiry to the Church Music Association of America (musicasacra.com/forum) in hopes of finding you a good answer.

For results, I invited people to contact me, or to visit this blog.

God bless,

Chris

Strongheart said...

To console you, hear the beautiful "Magnificat primi toni" by Tomas Luis de Victoria available on Youtube - and it includes the lyrics.

You are so blessed to have access to such beautiful masses. I live in eastern Ontario in Canada and unfortunately, no traditional masses are available here, neither are beautiful traditional gregorian chants. But I keep hoping and praying for it.

Ron Rolling said...

Congratulations! Your inquiry is a thread at the forum of the Church Music Association of America. They are giving the easy answer: contact the director of the schola and ask for info. There is also a video of the piece on the thread as well.