Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Following up on Christopher Derrick and G.K. Chesterton

I recently received a phone call from Mr. Peter Sheehan, senior reporter for the Long Island Catholic, who told me that had come across something I had posted exactly a year ago, "Can anyone help with data on relation of G.K. Chesterton to Christopher Derrick?" (January 3, 2005) , in which I had solicited information about the Catholic influence of either of these men on the other. Sheehan told me that he once had the privilege of interviewing Christopher Derrick. Among the many interesting things he shared with me, two helpful things stand out as helpful in terms of my original query: I learned from him (1) that Derrick is a cradle catholic, and (2) that the influence of Chesterton on Derrick was in all probability more by way of inspiration than by way of any direct personal influence.

My thanks to Mr. Sheehan for this help in filling in the details a bit more. Those interested may see Mr. Sheehan's recent article, "Always Winter and Never Christmas," at the Long Island Catholic website. What yet remains in question for me -- based on a sketchy recollection of something I read somewhere -- is whether Chesterton was converted through the influence of Derrick's grandfather or whether Derrick's father, perhaps, was converted through the influence of Chesterton -- something like that. If anybody has information to share, I should be pleased.

No comments: