Monday, June 29, 2015

Tridentine Community News - Evening Prayers, Prayers from the Daily Roman Missal, Prayers from the Blessed Sacrament Prayerbook, Mass schedules


"I will go in unto the Altar of God
To God, Who giveth joy to my youth"

Tridentine Community News by Alex Begin (June 28, 2015):
Evening Prayers

Our June 7 column provided some suggestions for prayers to be prayed in the morning. This week we’ll consider some appropriate prayers to be prayed at the end of the day. Improvised prayers are certainly appropriate as well, particularly prayers of thanks for specific favors received. The examples we present are oriented towards adults; children perhaps should focus on the thanksgiving aspect of evening prayers.

Prayers from the Daily Roman Missal

The seventh edition of Midwest Theological Forum’s Latin/English Daily Roman Missal (an excellent missal for the Ordinary Form), published in 2011, contains a useful section on Evening Prayer. It is excerpted below, along with more traditional wordings of the prayers they recommend:

Brief Examination at Night

Make a brief examination of conscience before going to bed at night. Two or three minutes will suffice.
  • Place yourself in the presence of God, recognizing His strength and your weakness. Tell him: “Lord, if You will, You can make me clean.”
  • Ask your Guardian Angel for light to acknowledge your defects and virtues: What have I done wrong? What have I done right? What could I have done better?
  • Examine your conscience with sincerity: Did I often consider that God is my Father? Did I offer Him my work? Did I make good use of my time? Did I pray slowly and with attention? Did I try to make life pleasant for other people? Did I criticize anyone? Was I forgiving? Did I pray and offer some sacrifices for the Church, for the Pope, and for those around me? Did I allow myself to be carried away by sensuality? By pride?
  • Make an Act of Contrition (below), sorrowfully asking our Lord’s pardon.
  • Make a specific resolution for tomorrow:
    - To stay away from certain temptations.
    - To avoid some specific faults.
    - To exert special effort to practice some virtue.
    - To take advantage of occasions for improvement.
  • Pray three Hail Marys to the Virgin Mary, asking for purity of heart and body.
Act of Contrition

O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell, but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, Who art all-good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace, to confess my sins, to do penance, and to amend my life.

Short Acceptance of Death

O Lord my God, I now at this moment, readily and willingly accept at Thy hand whatever kind of death it may please Thee to send me, with all its pains, penalties, and sorrows.

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph
Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, I give you my heart and my soul.

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, assist me in my last agony.

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, may I sleep and take my rest in peace with you.
Prayers from the Blessed Sacrament Prayerbook

The Blessed Sacrament Prayerbook contains an entire chapter of Evening Prayers, of which the below are examples:

Act of Adoration and Thanksgiving

Almighty and eternal God, I adore Thee and I thank Thee for all the benefits I have received this day and all the days of my life, through Thy infinite goodness and mercy. Give me light to know my faults and grant me grace to be truly sorry for my sins.

Here examine your conscience on the faults of the day; on the offenses against God and against your neighbor; and on the commandments of God and of the Church; and particularly with regard to your predominant passion, and in reference to your promises and good resolutions. If you have sinned grievously, resolve to go to Confession at the first opportunity. Meditate for a few moments on eternity, death, judgment, heaven, and hell, mindful of the admonition of the Holy Spirit: “In all thy works, O man, remember thy last end and thou wilt never sin.” Make an Act of Contrition.

A Night Prayer by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Jesus Christ, my God, I adore Thee and I thank Thee for all the graces Thou hast bestowed on me this day. I offer Thee my sleep and every moment of this night, and I beseech Thee to keep me free from sin. Therefore I place myself in Thy most sacred side and under the protecting mantle of our Lady, my mother. May Thy holy Angels help me and keep me in peace, and may Thy blessing be upon me.

Tridentine Masses This Coming Week
  • Mon. 06/29 7:00 PM: Low Mass at St. Josaphat (Ss. Peter & Paul, Apostles)
  • Tue. 06/30 7:00 PM: Low Mass at Holy Name of Mary (Commemoration of St. Paul, Apostle)
  • Fri. 07/03 7:00 PM: Low Mass at St. Josaphat (Sacred Heart of Jesus) [First Friday]
[Comments? Please e-mail tridnews@detroitlatinmass.org. Previous columns are available at http://www.detroitlatinmass.org. This edition of Tridentine Community News, with minor editions, is from the St. Albertus (Detroit), Academy of the Sacred Heart (Bloomfield Hills), and St. Alphonsus and Holy Name of Mary Churches (Windsor) bulletin inserts for June 28, 2015. Hat tip to Alex Begin, author of the column.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As of July 5, the Traditional Latin Mass in the Flint area will be held at 3:00 P.M. At St. Matthew Church in downtown Flint, not at All Saints at 4:00 P.M.

Audrey Amberg