Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Bracing and inspiring oath

A reader, referring me to the following transcript of the oath taken by the Vatican Swiss Guards (from "B-16 gang hand sign," Me Monk, Me Meander, April 16, 2007), writes: "Isn't this bracing and inspiring? While the old West, America and Perfidious Albion, send women into combat - and supinely quake when young mothers are taken as hostages - we Christians of the eternal west can be justly proud of these young men."

The linked account reads as follows:
At the oath-taking ceremony of new Swiss Guards, the Chaplain of the Guard gives a solemn reading of the oath.

I swear I will faithfully, loyally and honorably serve the Supreme Pontiff Benedict XVI and his legitimate successors, and also dedicate myself to them with all my strength, sacrificing if necessary also my life to defend them. I assume this same commitment with regard to the Sacred College of Cardinals whenever the See is vacant. Furthermore, I promise to the Commanding Captain and my other superiors, respect, fidelity and obedience. This I swear. May God and our Holy Patrons assist me!

Then a recruit’s name is called, and that recruit steps forward alone. With his left hand he grasps the Swiss Guard flag, holding up his right hand with the thumb and next two fingers open, as a symbol of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and he confirms the oath:

I, [Name], swear I will observe faithfully, loyally and honorably all that has now been read out to me. May God and his saints assist me>
[Hat tip to Sun and Wine]

No comments: