Thursday, January 15, 2004

Exposing The Davinci Code

Since the publication of Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code, I have been surprised by the number of people I've run into who have read it. Usually I don't give much mental space to popular publications of this sort, even when controversy surrounds them. But while my wife and I were recently visiting my sister and her husband, they said that they had each read the book and expressed great interest in a number of points in it raised about the Catholic Church, among them, the allegations made about the Catholic prelature, Opus Dei, which they seemed to regard as some sort nefarious and shadowy Catholic international KGB network. After further discussion, I determined that Brown's book was playing to a prevailing wave of anti-Catholic sentiment and, in fact, feeding the pervasive flood of public misinformation about the Catholic Church. In light of this, I was happy to find the article in a recent issue of Crisis magazine by Sandra Miesel devoted to a blistering expose and review of Brown's Da Vinci Code. Anyone who would like some guidance in sorting out the thesis and contents of Brown's book could benefit from reading Miesel's review, which can be found in the feature section of the September, 2003 issue of Crisis magazine.

No comments: